Sunday, June 10, 2012

Rising Star: Day 13: Safety Squad

This morning my group went to another Leprosy Colony and it was great.

We set up a clinic and did some more wound care.  It was a pretty slow day so I'm glad we had Shaun Perry with us.  I can't remember if I have introduced Shaun Perry but he is the director of Promethean Spark and Life Dance.  He had the whole village dancing outside the clinic.  It was really fun to watch these kids do their Indian dancing and trying some of Shaun's moves.

Tonight we taught Safety tips and First Aid stuff to the older kids.  I taught Fire Safety because these kids go home to their villages and cook over an open fire each day.  Rachel and I role played her making food and I would stop the scene and ask the kids what she was doing wrong.  They were so cute and got really into it.

After teaching fire prevention we taught them Stop, Drop, and Roll if they did catch on fire.  It was a lot of fun.



Other groups taught CPR, and Snake bite first aid, and safe baby holding.  This is important for this population especially.  Generally, children are handled pretty roughly because they just don't know how fragile a baby really is.  It was great to see the boys getting excited to practice holding a baby the right way.  They teased each other but really got into it.

The boys love their WWF here so they taught me this card game they play with all the stats of WWF fighters.  I won! ... with a LOT of help from some of the boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment